The Battle
Two sides each believing in their own cause marched
out onto the battle field.
Both willing to give their all.
One side chose to arrive the night before in the
black ink of darkness to hide their movements.
Our orders were to dig trenches.
As it began to snow, I huddled together with some of
my friends for warmth.
As the icy night passed, I waited eagerly till
morning.
As the sun rose I was cold to the bone.
I heard a loud noise, the sound of hundreds of men
yelling at the top of their lungs.
One voice shouted, “It’s the Briti…” his cry cut
short as a bullet ripped through his chest.
The enemy poured into the trench in front of us,
killing the stunned men in a matter of seconds.
I quickly loaded my musket and attached my bayonet.
I knew I did not have long till the enemy came upon
me.
As I put the barrel of my gun on top of the trench I
took a shot.
The bullet tore through the my enemy's side dropping
him like a feather.
Another soldier quickly charged at me with bayonet
in hand; I had nowhere to go.
I was sure this would be my end. I heard a loud bang;
a cannon ball ripping him into pieces.
As I sat there covered in his steaming blood I
quickly reloaded my gun and I readied myself as a new foe jumped into the
trench ready to kill me.
I thrusted forward
piercing his skin like butter with my sharp bayonet.
As the dying soul fell to the ground I saw my
comrade fall by my side.
His hand still clutching the gun with the bayonet in
him,
and the gun went off blowing a hole through his
heart.
I screamed his name as his lifeless body sank to the
ground.
Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my gut.
I glanced down, I observed my enemy remove the now
blood-coated skewer out of my side as I fell slowly to the ground.
I looked back up at my enemy from my cold death bed
on the ground.
When he put the end of his gun in my face, I knew
this was the end and I slowly watched as the hammer hit the primer.
No comments:
Post a Comment